Edward John Kelk was a pioneer settler in the Lindum and Hemmant Districts. In the early 1860's, 3 brothers William, Henry and Edward Kelk came to settle in the district from Lincolnshire, England and brought land not far from the present day Hemmant. The Kelks called their property Lindum-mere. The name of their home in Lincoln. Lindum is the Latin name from Lincoln.
William and Henry left the district, but Edward build a fine home on the 200 acre/81 hectare property not far from the site of todays Pleasantville. The entrance was near Lindum Railway Station and a Driveway led from the fancy gates up a hill to the house running along the line of the present Rodney Street.
Edward owned and operated a sugar cane plantation and a sugar mill on this Lindum property through which the Cleveland railway now runs. He was a pioneer-settler who was acknowledged as a highly respected citizen. He is remembered not only for his compassionate commitment to the early community, Lindum and Hemmant, but for his compassionate treatment of the local aboriginals who were employed to work on the cane plantations of those days and his implementation of projects to set them up in a local fishing industry by supplying them with boats, gear and supervision.